We all know how hectic search engine optimization can be especially for start-up business. These following tips will make life much easier and can be easily executed .
- Unique Quality Content – This is trivial for 2015 as Google and other search engines love content because they want the user to find what he is looking for, and what is better than fresh and unique content? Remember though, your content should not be aimed at search engine but for your users!
- Keyword Optimization – Although this one has to with content it is so important that it deserves its own spot. Use Keyword Planner to find keywords related to your business and make sure your content is optimized to answer questions related to them. Don’t be spammy and keep it user friendly. Moreover focus on phrases and not just the keywords themselves.
- Link Building – Quality not quantity. Don’t just find directories and add your link on these because these might actually hurt your ranking especially if they have bad domain authority, low page rank or a high spam score. Be smart and get quality links and quality content can definitely help you do that.
- Follow and No-follow Links – Not all of your links should be followed especially if you’re in that stage where you are still building your content. Moreover keep a healthy ratio between the two as it seems less spammy and hence reduces your spam score and ranks you better.
- Get .edu and .gov Links – These are the gold mine for SEOs as they carry more weight than any other type of link. As I said Google wants to keep the user entertained and .edu sites have educational content and if you are able to put a link to your site on such domains, you are in for a better ranking. On the other hand .gov are more trusted and so Google gives them more importance than the usual .com domains.
- Frequently Check For Status Errors – Make sure you don’t have any 404s and use 301 redirect rather than 302 redirect because 301 gives and keeps the ranking power. Else make sure everywhere else shows 200 because that means everything is working properly and both crawlers and users can access those pages.
- Add Media To Your Content – Not everyone likes the same method of learning so it is a good idea to add images, infographics, videos or even podcasts. However don’t just upload a video. Make sure you write what the video says because so far Google is not able to crawl through video and images content even though this is improving daily.
- Use Social Media – Even though there is a huge debate whether Google gives importance to links obtained through social media sharing, there is definitely some indirect benefits of SMM. The most important one is that it exposes that time consuming quality content, because if you don’t have an audience Google can’t rank you well. Remember search engines only like you when everyone else loves you. The second point is that SMM drives traffic to your website which has affect on your ranking.
- Don’t be afraid to link to others – You give some and you get some and that is how it works. Don’t be afraid that you’ll lose users because you link them to other sites. If you link them to what they are looking for they will find your site useful and maybe recommend you to others. This also encourages other to link you.
- Call to Action – SEO is useless if you don’t have a clear call to action button. If you want to sell make sure you a clear ‘Buy’ button. This has more to do with conversion rate optimization but its definetly worth mentioning. I added a link to my other blog to give you a small introduction to CRO if you don’t know what it is.
- Make sure you have a Canonical Tag – This is extremely important because it stops google from thinking that you have duplicate content. To check if you have it: go to your website > Press Ctrl + U > Press Ctrl + F and type ‘canonical’. If it finds something then you’re good, if not then go to Yoast and download the plug-in if you have a wordpress site. To learn on canonicalization I found this video which I think is really helpful to understand the concept.
I hope you found this list useful and please be sure to check Introduction To SEO if you are new to search engine optimization and would like to learn more 😉